Monday, April 16, 2007

Dan Kern's Regimen

How did the Regimen come about?

For years I experimented with every conceivable over-the-counter and prescription acne treatment, including retin-a, antibiotics, cleocin-t, sulfur, salicylic acid, and several others. Some cleared me up a little bit, but never a very noticeable difference. The one thing that always seemed to work was benzoyl peroxide, the key ingredient in the over-the-counter medications like Oxy or Clearasil. Although benzoyl peroxide worked better than the other medications I had tried, it still did not work well enough. I now know why. I was not being gentle enough with my skin, and I did not use adequate amounts of benzoyl peroxide.

I finally found a routine that cleared me up about ten years ago. I was astonished and elated to find myself free of acne after so many years of experimentation. As it turns out, my current regimen works remarkably well for almost every person who follows it precisely. I encourage anyone with light to moderate acne to try it. If the regimen were an equation it would look something like this:


Gentle Cleansing + Plenty of 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide
+ Adequate Moisturization = Acne-Free Skin

Why does the Regimen work so well for so many people?

I have conducted research in many books, medical manuals, and dermatology journals in an attempt to understand why my regimen is so effective. The success of my regimen can be boiled down to the facts that:

  • Acne begins with a plugged follicle. The trapped bacteria (p. acnes) inside the follicle multiplies. Benzoyl peroxide addresses this situation well. Benzoyl peroxide is a mild drying and peeling agent, thought to keep pores from becoming plugged in the first place. Next comes the most powerful part about benzoyl peroxide. It kills acne bacteria better than any other medication on the market, prescription or otherwise. This is why benzoyl peroxide has been a mainstay of acne treatment since the 1930s. What I found is that you have to use enough of it. If you use plenty of 2.5% benzoyl peroxide and stay gentle, you'll be on your way to acne-free skin. It sounds so simple, and really it is. I wish someone had given me this advice years ago. Also, unlike antibiotics, it is impossible for your skin to develop a tolerance to benzoyl peroxide. If it works at first, it will always work.
  • Irritation of the skin can aggravate acne, and should be avoided. The Regimen is not just about application of generous amounts of 2.5% benzoyl peroxide, it is also about how you treat your skin. The exact science of what causes pimples is not known. It is known, however, that irritation can make it worse. As long as you are not picking at your face, scrubbing it with a harsh washcloth, or otherwise irritating it, your skin is primed for benzoyl peroxide. Because an effective acne regimen requires a non-irritated face, if your skin is already irritated from the medication you are currently using, it may be a good idea to give your skin a few days to get back to normal before embarking on this regimen.

If your acne is light to moderate
characterized by
whiteheads, blackheads, papules, pustules

Go to the next page, where you can view the supplies you will need to do the regimen for yourself.


If your acne is severe
characterized by
cysts and nodules

Hundreds of people have written saying the Regimen worked on their severe acne. Feel free to go to the next page and try the Regimen for yourself. However, in some cases a visit to your physician or dermatologist may be necessary. You may want to inquire about Accutane.

To read my experience on Accutane, click here.



Source http://www.acne.org/regimen.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am getting these little under skin acne pimples near my nose and was wondering and quick home remedies that remove them or any products under $15 that I can use without going to a dermatologist. Thanks. genuine acne treatment

Anonymous said...

What is the best natural treatment for acne? I've read about certain all natural treatments for acne, but do they really work? I'd prefer an all natural treatment because prescription acne products irritate my skin. Also, where would I go about purchasing an this all natural acne treatment product? exposed skincare treatment